26 May 2014

Water bead play

There seem to have been quite a few posts around recently of other bloggers children having fun with water beads and knowing how much the little ones like to get their hands on anything tactile and messy, I thought we would give it a go too. If you don't know water beads are those things that you put in your vase with your flowers instead of water, they start off tiny and hard, suck up lots of water and end up looking like marbles made of gel. they are non toxic, cheap and relatively mess free so I bought some and off we went.

I bought a tiny packet for the bargain price of 55p (good old ebay) and soaked half of them overnight. I put them in a medium sided bowl with water and came down in the morning to beads all over the worktop and the floor as they had swelled soooo much they had overflowed the bowl, 1/3 of the packet would have been enough, so plenty left for another day.

As it was a sunny day and anticipating some mess, I set the bowl up in the garden with some utensils to encourage the Little ones to scoop, tip and fill (which they love to do at the moment) and maybe play a game of tea parties too.

I then let the Little ones loose and boy didn't they get stuck straight  in...

I can only describe it as if you were putting your hand in a bowl of frogspawn, they feel slimy, cold and wet. When I pulled my hand out I expected it to be slimy or smell but it was just damp and there was no odour. There were comments of 'it's wet', 'oh squishy' and 'can I pop them?' We found out they were very bouncy when Little 2 grabbed a handful and dropped them into her bowl.

The Little ones then spent ages spooning and scooping, filling bowls, cups and a teapot. Little 2 was very methodical and concentrating hard on scooping, she played like this for ages.

Little 1 loved plunging her hands into the beads feeling the textures and digging for the various utensils she had hidden in the bowl.

We then had a go at colour sorting and pretending to make dinner and cups of tea.

I did finally give in to Little 1's desire to pop the beads, they were made of some sort of gel that looks like jelly when it is broken up, it was quite hard to pop them as they were very slippy and they tended to jump out of my fingers, she did put a lot of effort in to trying to pop them!

We had a lot of fun with the beads and played for a good hour, both the Little ones enjoyed it and have already asked when we can use the rest. I am glad we did the activity outside as a lot ended up on the floor and got trampled into the grass but they disappeared in a few days. We shall play with them again soon, I wonder what I can use to make the activity different next time? Any ideas?

1. Le Coin de Mel27 May 2014 at 21:57

Looks like your little ones had a lovely time! I have read lots of posts using water beads recently, and didn't realise they were quite that cheap. Might get some soon! Mel

2. I would is it a great activity, and we only used half of ours .

3. This looks like so much fun!

4. Lucinda Turner30 May 2014 at 09:41

These look fantastic and your little ones are clearly having so much fun! Think I may have to get some #binkylinky

5. I've heard so much about water beads. We love messy play and will be trying this for sure! Thanks for linking up to the #binkylinky

6. Catriona Stephen30 May 2014 at 16:14

Looks like fun! Lovely photos :-) think I will get some when my little one's old enough #binkylinky x

7. Merlinda Little30 May 2014 at 16:17

So squidgy! Im sure that my son wouldve like that. Esp now that he is so bored of the rain and its half term =) #binkylinky

8. I love aqua beads! We've used them to make sensory play scenes and used them for the sea :)

9. What a great idea, i fancy doing a fishy themed one.

10. We have been trying to keep busy, lots of playdates, baking and outdoor play in between the rain showers!

11. Very cheap and not too messy, I recommend it.

12. it’s great, thank you for hosting binkylinky x

13. they are good fun and relatively mess free, I recommend them x

14. Denise Johnson30 May 2014 at 20:38

Looks like such a fun activity for just a few pence. I have only just heard of these which is a shame as my youngest is now six so probably too old for this type of play. #BinkyLinky

15. this is such a good idea! My 2 yr old boy and my nearly 3 yr old nephew would love to do this in nannys garden so Im checking out ebay now! Thanks for this idea! Thanks for signing up to the #binkylinky

16. I bet he would still have a go, weighing or measuring, tipping and filling?? what about using them as a base for a dino stomp crushing them?

17. Victoria MyLittleLBlog30 May 2014 at 23:07

beads are great, you can grow or kind of grow beans with them as it should be like a soil, it didnt work with me maybe worked with others

18. Hadn’t heard of that, thanks for hopping over x

19. Denise Johnson31 May 2014 at 14:06

Yes your right, I'll have to have a look on ebay. Thanks :-)

20. My son loves the water beads . If you play inside with them, you end up finding them all over the place where they've escaped. He's a scooper too!

21. If we played with them inside it would have to be in the kitchen after the mess they made on the grass!!

22. Looks like loads of fun, must get ours out again, such good sensory play, love that you got some for 55p, bargainous! xx #letkidsbekids

23. Sara (@mumturnedmom)10 June 2014 at 18:24

I really must try these, keep meaning to buy some, it looks like a lot of fun :) #LetKidsBeKids

24. good cheap fun, we still have loads left for another day!

25. Water beads are great for sensory fun play. It looks like you all enjoyed it.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids

26. Thank You for the tip about getting them from ebay, bargain!

27. They are great fun and can be used again, you can buy them in garden centres usually about £3ish too x

28. This post is worthy of appreciation, looking forward to more exciting! swarovski crystal wholesale