11 May 2014

Boredom buster - iced richteas

It was one of those afternoons when Daddy was at work, the girls had played with EVERYTHING, we had been to the shops and the park and it was still only half past 2 and drizzling!

Little 1 asked if we could make something, I didn't have much in the way of baking ingredients and didn't fancy another trip to the shops, so I came up with the idea of icing biscuits. I knew I had a packet of rich teas, some icing sugar and a whole load of sprinkles left over from Christmas so I gave the girls a tray of biscuits, a bowl of icing and let them loose with the sprinkles.

Little 2 is a dab hand with a glue stick and a bit of PVA so I knew she would get stuck in and she did, she was very methodical putting the icing on each biscuit and trying not to get it on her fingers, she was concentrating hard.

Little 1 was very tidy with her icing trying to get neat circles on her biscuits and choosing a different sprinkle for each one. She likes to watch the icing drip off the spoon and spread out rather than spreading it herself. She is very thoughtful and methodical, she likes lining things up and is a caring little girl.

Once the girls had iced a whole packet of biscuits, (that was snack time sorted for a week!) the tasting began. Little 2 is so cheeky but she is scrummy with it, it is hard to resist her cheeky smile, I knew she would be the first of the two to have a taste and I had a little giggle to myself when she dipped the icing covered spoon into the sprinkles and aimed for her lips looking at me as she did so.

Icing biscuits took a good 45 minutes, the Little ones were entertained and happy and we all enjoyed eating them afterwards. We really do love baking in this house.

1. Looks like lots of fun. & yummy too x

2. Sara (@mumturnedmom)14 May 2014 at 04:05

What a great way to spend an afternoon, we quite often ice biscuits, it is a nice easy baking activity!

3. Yes simple, enjoyable and effective, we shall be doing it more often x

4. Denise Johnson16 May 2014 at 11:00

Lovely post - your children are beautiful! A great boredom filler as you say and one that I will add to my list as I know that my youngest would love doing that! #BinkyLinky

5. Bonita Turner mamasVIB16 May 2014 at 13:02

Great idea - I'm going to try this with my tot! Great way to practise before we ice the cakes!

6. Great rainy day activity!

7. Great, quick idea to keep little ones entertained! I'd never thought to do this! Thanks for sharing. Thanks for linking up to the #binkylinky

8. Sounds like you all had a great time! Nothing like some sprinkles to brighten up your day :)

9. this looks like so much fun x

10. TheBrickCastle21 May 2014 at 12:44

I ran a parent and toddler group for 7 years and by far THE most popular craft was 'icing biscuits'. Children get so much out of it - I really must do it more with my little ones :)

11. They love it, it is so cheap and easy isn’t it.

12. TheBrickCastle21 May 2014 at 13:18

It certainly is! For 10p they can have half an hour's entertainment AND dessert :D

13. Baked Potato Mummy22 May 2014 at 07:36

We did icing digestives using some butter icing I made. It was quick, simple and cheap and Potato loved it. I might try making a running icing next time instead!
    Thanks for linking up with #BinkyLinky

14. It is great fun, they love the drippy icing!

15. Lucas says - I would have been disappointed if the icing had not been sampled!!! These look soooooooo yummy. The Mother is going to be very busy during half term making sure I have enough biscuits and icing!!
    Thanks for linking to #minicreations

16. They were very yummy Lucas we decorated a whole packet and they didn’t last long!