23 April 2014

A trip to Lynmouth

On our recent holiday to Minehead, Somerset we took a drive along the coast to one of our favourite places, the beautiful coastal town of Lynmouth.  I lived in Devon as a child and visited there many times on holidays over the years, each time I go back I think how beautiful the river there is and hope that our children will love it as much as we do as no doubt we will take them back there many times.

There is a walk up into the trees following the river all the way up the valley through Watersmeet, it is so beautiful with the river meandering through the trees and rocks with bridges to walk over and a tea room. I have not done this walk for years not since I was a child, it is pretty hard going as I remember it, we were planning to attempt a bit of it with the girls on our visit.

The river looking up towards Watersmeet

The river flowing down through Lynmouth
We wrapped up warm, the sun was out but the wind was really cold, the girls wore body warmers and coats but it was still cold. We went for a wander through the town looking in the shops and galleries and bought a few gifts for relatives. We watched the famous cliff railway up to Lynton but didn't go on it this time.

We had taken a picnic with us so at lunchtime we headed over to the park and ate our sandwiches.

Then headed to a nearby cafe for coffee to warm up!! The Little ones however decided that ice cream would be more acceptable on such a chilly afternoon! They were enormous.

It just had to be mint choc chip for Little 1, her favourite.

Once we had warmed up and had a bit more of a wander we headed back to the park. Little 2 didn't want to do anything other than swing and Little 1 got daring on the rope climbing side of the climbing frame.

Sadly as it was so cold, Little 2 was tired having only had only had a brief nap in the car on the way there and we had promised the girls an evening swim back at Butlins we didn't make it on the walk this time but when we are back in the area and their legs are a little longer we will definitely attempt it. We had a lovely afternoon out in Lynmouth and I recommend a visit if you are in the area.

Where are your favourite places to go? Where do you return time after time with your family?

1. It looks so pretty there & I'm loving those ice creams yummy! Looks like a lovely place to visit. I always liked Dartmoor as remembered it as a child x

2. Loving Life With Little Ones24 April 2014 at 10:05

Lots of trips to Dartmoor featured in my life as a child too, it is so pretty there especially the walk.

3. Loving Life With Little Ones24 April 2014 at 10:07

Lots of trips to Dartmoor featured in my childhood too, Lynmouth is really beautiful, especially the walk, x

4. Lovely photos! Looks like a great day out :) x

5. Loving Life With Little Ones25 April 2014 at 20:09

Thanks x

6. Merlinda Little26 April 2014 at 07:32

Poscard perfect place! Is that a walking path by the water in the first photo?

7. Loving Life With Little Ones26 April 2014 at 15:38

The end of the walk that goes up into the trees is up where we were and down on the actual waterside it the overflow bit as the water can be really bad along there, you can get down there but it is not a path as such.!

8. Victoria Welton29 April 2014 at 23:03

What a great post and stunning place. I think it is one of the few places I haven't been to in that area. Minehead isn't far from us! I love quite a few of the areas around here and am gradually getting to used to Somerset! Thank you for linking to PoCoLo :)

9. Loving Life With Little Ones30 April 2014 at 08:22

I was Devon born and bred and love the areas of Devon and Somerset, many happy family holidays were spent in the area. I love some of the scenery, we often holiday to the area with our children now.

10. sabrina montagnoli10 May 2014 at 13:58

Sounds like a beautiful place to visit and at least you got to enjoy the views and some fresh air. My wee man is that same...NEVER too cold for ice cream :) #CountryKids

11. It is definitely some where you could sit and watch for ages as the children play happily on the bank.

12. Looks like you all had a lovely day, even if you didn't manage to do the walk as planned.
    Choc chip ice cream... yum... my favourite!
    #countrykids

13. Toffee fudge is my favourite flavour! Thanks for reading x

14. Coombe Mill (Fiona)11 May 2014 at 14:35

What a lovely day trip out! It always amazes me how children can eat ice cream whatever the weather. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

15. There is always time for icecream when we are on holiday!

16. This looks a wonderful place, I'd really like to visit here. I love anywhere with a pretty river and could stand watching for ages.