5 March 2014

'Put my bars back mummy'

Having recently posted about how fast Little 2 has grown up lately, I have to reiterate it again. Last week we made the leap of converting her cot into a junior bed. I mentioned a little while ago that she was still in a sleeping bag and cot as she turned 2, she was sleeping through the night and so there was no need to make the move to a big girls bed.

Then last week she tried to climb out for the first time. She had gone down for a nap reluctantly one lunchtime as she knew we were going out afterwards. I think she thought she was going to miss out and so tried to get out, Daddy went up when she called out and found her with one leg over the side of the cot, luckily she didn't have anything in there to climb on or the oompf to pull herself up because otherwise she would have gone over the top. We decided it was time to make the change before she did it again and possibly got hurt.

I decided to do it on a Friday so she got used to it over the weekend when no one had to get up if she didn't settle very well. I managed to dismantle the cot and rebuild it as a bed without losing any fingers so was quite impressed with myself, it wasn't easy holding one end of the cot, unscrewing a bolt whilst balancing the cot side on my head and catching all the bits before they crashed into a pile with me underneath!!

We bought a bed guard so that she still felt secure and couldn't fall out, and as she still wants to sleep in the sleeping bag it was safer as she is less likely to get out of bed with it there and fall on her face trying to walk in the sleeping bag. (The bed rail we chose had great reviews and is collapsible for taking on holiday and to nanny's house, unfortunately it only comes in blue.)

She got quite excited seeing me taking the cot apart and dancing in the space where it had been and her eyes lit up when I put the mattress back on the bed and invited her to get in. She and Little 1 played in her new bed and put their teddies to bed in it.

As bedtime approached she said 'Mummy, put my bars back now?' I explained that she was getting bigger and she could have a big girls bed now which she just accepted. Phew, I had begun to worry that she wouldn't go to sleep at bedtime.

When bedtime came everything went as normal and she was lifted into bed in her sleeping bag as she would have been in her cot, she stayed there and after a few minutes fell asleep as good as gold, she is such a good girl.

She must have been comfortable and tired as she slept all night and in the morning I had to go in and wake her as she was still asleep at 8am, it would be lovely if both girls would sleep until 8am every Saturday morning, I would be thrilled.

I am glad she likes her big girls bed. She keeps telling everyone about it.

(Please excuse the big box along the wall with the blanket over it, we have bought little 2 a cabin bed, as they were discontinuing her bedroom range, for when she is a little bigger and it won't fit up in the loft.)

1. Aaashhh so grown up. Glad she loves it x

2. Loving Life With Little Ones5 March 2014 at 22:56

She is very proud of her big girl bed x

3. Let's Talk Mommy26 March 2014 at 11:08

Ahhh she is so adorable. We just did the same for Buba in his new big boy bed. I was surprised how easy he transitioned to it. I am so glad your lil curly top did too! Makes life easier. Don't they grow so fast? It's flying by. I sat watching Buba forever sleep in his big boy bed almost made me cry. Where was my baby? Lovely post to join in Share With Me. Great to get to know more about your lovely blog and you! #sharewithme

4. Loving Life With Little Ones26 March 2014 at 11:37

Thank You so much, I’m fairly new to blogging and still getting my head around linkys, badges and twitter. Look forward to getting to know you and your blog.x

5. Such lovely photos. And kudos for rebuilding the cot into a bed. I would have been useless! My monkey uses an armchair at the end of the bed to climb out of his cot - and I am still reluctant to change. But perhaps I am dithering over nothing! As you have proved - 8am wake up it amazing!

6. Loving Life With Little Ones26 March 2014 at 13:07

She wasn’t fazed by the change at all and loves her big girl bed. She is a good sleeper anyway usually waking around 7am. Thanks for commenting x

7. oh man- we are wondering when to do this- is there a right answer?? Our big little is chilled and isn't bothered about still being in her cot but at this rate she could still be there when she goes to uni?!
    #sharewithme

Muma Leary. x

8. This is definitely a big step ahead! It's a good thing she got used to it too. #ShareWithMe

9. Loving Life With Little Ones27 March 2014 at 16:36

She i growing up far too fast, thanks for reading x

10. Wow! A major step. Bella was two last month and I have NO plans at all to move her! Hope she sleeps well :)
    x x

11. Loving Life With Little Ones29 March 2014 at 08:49

Yes, she continued to sleep through the night, it didn’t faze her at all.

12. Sara (@mumturnedmom)30 March 2014 at 23:59

What a big step :) I'm glad it went well. I haven't moved the wee girl yet, she just turned two, holding off until I really have to! #ShareWithMe

13. Loving Life With Little Ones31 March 2014 at 10:06

We were going to wait a bit but she had other plans!

14. I don’t think there is a right time really, we moved our eldest as needed the cot for the impending arrival of our second. We only moved Little 2 when we did as she tried to climb out, we weren’t even thinking of moving her before that!!

15. She took it all in her stride, she is brilliant really. x

16. Baked Potato Mummy6 May 2014 at 22:02

Awww bless her! Well done her for staying there all night so well. Potato is 22 months and although he has a duvet and pillow now, his cotbed is still a cot. He's managed to get out twice, both during a tantrum. The rest of the time he doesn't try to climb out. But I think we're going to have to make the change soon :(