11 March 2014

Picked on at preschool

Before half term we were having a few problems with Little 1, she had suddenly stopped going to sleep quickly at night. Normally she would go to bed quietly and listen to her musical lightshow a couple of times and be asleep in a few minutes. She began calling out for up to an hour every night wanting a wee, drink, to ask a question, an extra cuddle until we finally got cross and told her not so kindly to go to sleep, this went on for a couple of weeks. She got very grumpy and her behaviour went downhill as she was obviously tired but she still wasn't going off to sleep. I had an inkling there was a reason for her behavior rather than her just being naughty but I didn't know what, I guessed that it might have been attention seeking as Little 2 started potty training a few days after it started.

She was obviously tired from all the late nights, she was grumpy and wingey but she was also very easily upset by little things which was unlike her and got especially upset if I told her off. She had begun to push her sister and had attempted to hit Daddy and I a couple of times when she got cross which saw her swiftly deposited on the naughty step, this was totally out of character, she is usually such a happy, gentle little girl.

After a couple of weeks of this bad sleeping I mentioned her behaviour to her preschool teacher and asked if she was being naughty there, she looked at me totally in surprise and said 'No, Not Little 1, she is as good as gold, I'm really surprised'. I was quite confused as to what was going on but I just couldn't figure it out.

Over the next week she mentioned a couple of things that made me think there was something happening at preschool. First she said she had had a bad dream about preschool when she woke up in the middle of the night crying, then one day she told me she had nearly cried when she was at preschool. When I asked her why she said she missed me too much.

The next day when she went to preschool she cried when I dropped her off, she hadn't cried once up until that point not even on the first day she started there, her teacher and I were both puzzled and I left her there feeling really guilty that I was just going home with Little 2.

That night when I asked her why she had got upset she told me that she didn't want to go to preschool as someone was hitting her. I felt totally terrible, it was such a weird feeling somewhere between that feeling of being lost when you are a child and homesick at the same time, I couldn't protect my little girl when she was at preschool and to think that my little girl had been dealing with this in her head for at least 3 weeks and I kept sending her there and telling her off for being naughty.

Little 1 told me the name of the girl and I talked about it with her keyperson the next day at preschool, apparently the girl is known to be aggressive and has done it to others, preschool are dealing with the situation.

Preschool have been fantastic with Little 1, giving her some extra attention and affection over the last week and helping her to develop her confidence in saying 'no, don't do that'. She has been taking her comforter in with her and hasn't cried this week although she did last week. She told me today that she hasn't been hit since I talked to preschool about it so I am confident that the situation is much better.

I am glad to say that as soon as this was out in the open Little 1 went back to going straight off to sleep at bedtime and her behaviour is almost back to normal, she just needs a bit more reassurance to build her confidence back up.

I am now worried about her starting school in September...... I wasn't before all this!

1. Merlinda Little14 March 2014 at 10:48

My son was hurt in one incident in preschool with a bigger child involved and he didn't tell one of the teacher there and I don't know what to do with it. I made a decision that if ever it would happen again I will report but for now its only me & hubby & toddler knows that it had happened.
    Its so hard. When I see him cry when I pick him up from school knowing he had a bad day.
    I know how you feel.
    Great post. I am not usually affected with stuff that I read. This one did.
    #binkylinky

2. Loving Life With Little Ones14 March 2014 at 14:09

Its tough isn’t it, I’m glad it is sorted now. Maybe you could go and have a little chat with your sons teachers and explain what happened and that it is still bothering him. We taught Little 1 to say ‘Don’t do that, I don’t like it’ really loudly and she has done this a couple of times and been proud of herself for doing it, her teachers have overheard her shouting it and reprimanded the girl too, result!

3. The explorer's mum!14 March 2014 at 14:11

Thanks for sharing this. It's so difficult isn't it - we want to be able to protect our children all the time and even though we know that a situation has been resolved, it's still hard not to worry about it. I'm so glad your little girl is now feeling reassured.

4. Loving Life With Little Ones14 March 2014 at 14:38

Thank You, She is definitely feeling better, no tears this week and she went in with a smile yesterday too, phew!

5. Loving Life With Little Ones16 March 2014 at 15:23

Thankfully it seems to be sorted now but it does make me worry about her starting primary school in September. x

6. Let's Talk Mommy2 April 2014 at 08:59

Oh hunny this can't be easy but so glad you found the source and it can be dwelt with at school and at home. Bless her. Kids can be oh so cruel. I remember all too well. Sending our lil ones is never easy when we know how cruel the world can be. We just have to prepare them as best we can to take it all on and pray for the best outcome. Thank you so much for sharing this on Share With Me. What a lovely little blog you have here. And adorable little ones Little 1 and Little 2 are adorable with that curly hair!!! we have a house of curlies too. #sharewithme

7. aww I completely feel for you bless her its so hard when they're this little as well and you don't know whats going on i am glad they have been really good and have sorted things for you #sharewithme

8. Loving Life With Little Ones2 April 2014 at 10:48

x

9. Loving Life With Little Ones2 April 2014 at 10:50

10. It's incredibly hard when things like this happen but it's much easier to tackle if you have a supportive preschool or school. make sure there's plenty of communication between you and the school-I had issues because there wasn't any communication at all.

11. Loving Life With Little Ones2 April 2014 at 20:07

Thank You So Much for your lovely comment. I love the girls curly hair, they get it from me but I hate mine. Thank you for hosting Share With Me. x

12. Loving Life With Little Ones2 April 2014 at 20:10

Her preschool have been great. We have now taught Little 1 to tell us if anything is bothering her so hopefully it won't come to this again. Thanks for commenting x

13. Rachel Cooper6 May 2014 at 22:01

It must be so hard. My little boy starts nursery in September and I'm dreading it! Glad its been sorted though. #binkylinky