25 March 2014

Counting pennies

The girls, like any other young child, like having pennies to put in their money boxes. We keep all our 1p, 2p and 5p coins to give to them and they love running to their bedrooms to put them into their money box when mummy gets some change.

Today I thought we probably had enough to bank so we brought their money boxes downstairs to count them. We played a little with the pennies too.

The girls enjoyed opening them and shaking out all the coins, we sorted them into piles, talked about each coin, their size and their value, counting and doing a little maths along the way. Little 1 was very interested in this and rather confused that a 5p was so small yet worth more. She doesn't have any concept of value yet but is beginning to show a little interest, asking lots of questions about what she could buy with what she had saved.

Little 2 was more interested in posting the coins back into her money box and spent ages filling and emptying hers, great for her co-ordination and dexterity.

Little 1 wanted to make some pictures with the coins, we made lines, her name and then she suggested a house, mummy made the door and path and she did the roof and chimney.

Then we counted the coins and bagged them up, the girls take them to the bank with us and pay them in their accounts so they are learning about saving too. A small activity to take up half and hour, a mini creation and a bit of learning along the way.

1. We have a money box yet to be opened and counted. I see your girls are very excited. So, probably I will need to count ours too. :)

P.S - liked the patterns they made with pennies.

2. Loving Life With Little Ones26 March 2014 at 07:54

It was actually quite fun, I let them take the lead and little 1 wanted to make pictures.

3. Aww! How sweet :) I love the little chimney! And so clever to get them aware of money and saving from an early age :) #minicreations xx

4. Loving Life With Little Ones26 March 2014 at 13:04

Thank You. I loved the chimney too. x

5. Love the idea of making pictures with the coins. They look very engaged with this activity too :)

6. Aww, this is fab. I've never thought of this! My little ones would like :D
    Thanks for sharing :)

7. Sara (@mumturnedmom)26 March 2014 at 22:10

This is great, fun and a fantastic learning opportunity x #MiniCreations

8. Loving Life With Little Ones26 March 2014 at 22:47

9. Loving Life With Little Ones26 March 2014 at 22:47

Glad to share x

10. fun and learning is super in my book ! x

11. Loving Life With Little Ones27 March 2014 at 10:06

Thanks for reading x

12. Fab idea, my little boy loves putting pennies in the charity boxes at the supermarket but it didn't even occur to me to get him to put them in his money box. Definitely going to start doing that now! x

13. Loving Life With Little Ones27 March 2014 at 13:03

Every little helps as they say!! they like opening their money boxes to see if there is enough to bank now and again.

14. chantelle hazelden28 March 2014 at 09:38

Love this idea and can I just say, amazing money box!! #PoCoLo

15. Loving Life With Little Ones28 March 2014 at 10:25

The wooden one was made for her by her grandad, if you unscrew the nose the front comes off!

16. Victoria Welton29 March 2014 at 12:21

What a fab idea. I thought the coin picture was a crocodile at first! Such a great way to help understand money :) thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

17. Loving Life With Little Ones29 March 2014 at 13:18

Thanks for hosting x

18. Grace says - what a great idea - I love having loads of pennies so I can count my money. Thanks for linking up to #minicreations
    Lucas says - I love money as it buys me HARIBO!!!!!

19. Loving Life With Little Ones1 April 2014 at 11:17

They love making pictures with the pennies and I can teach a bit of counting too!